Re: Physics for a blind student

Greetings.

Here is a listing of references about teaching physics to strudents with disabilities. It comes from the June issue of AJP page 508. I hope this will be useful.
Regards,
Leonard Jossem
Students with Disabilities
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1990 (IDEA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), have brought about a growing trend toward inclusion -- educating students with disabilities in the same setting as their nondisabled peers. Local Offices of Disability Services can provide information about legal requirements and liabilities.

104. "Teaching college physics to a blind student," Michelle Parry, Mark Brazier, Ephriam Fischbach, The Physics Teacher, 35, (8), 470-474 (1997).
105. "Teaching astronomy for the blind: Providing a lecture and laboratory experience," George F. Spagna,Jr. Am. J. Phys., 59, (4), 360-363 (1991).
106. "Accommodating mobility-impaired students in physics laboratories," Ronald M. Frinks, The Physics Teacher, 21, (8), 536 - 537 (1983).
107. "Acoustics for deaf physics students," Harry G. Lang, The Physics Teacher, 19, (4), 248-249 (1981).
108. "Physics labs for the blind," James Baughman,Jr. and Dean Zollman, The Physics Teacher, 15, (6), 339-342 (1977).
109. "A physical science course for the visually impaired," Bruce Weems, The Physics Teacher, 15 (6), 333-338 (1977).
110. "Teaching Physics to the Deaf," Harry G. Lang, The Physics Teacher, 11 (9), 527-531 (1973).
111. "Testing Students with Disabilities," K. F. Geisinger and J. F. Carlson, ERIC Digest ED391984 95. (ERIC Clearinghouse on Counseling and Student Services, Greensboro, NC.)
http://www.ed.gov/databases/ERIC_Digests/ed391984.html
112. "Questions To Ask When Evaluating Tests," L. M. Rudner, ERIC/AE Digest, ED385607 Apr 94 (ERIC Clearinghouse on Assessment and Evaluation, Washington, DC.)
113. Nemeth Braille Code for Mathematics and Science Notation. http://www.purdue.edu/odos/TAEVIS/N_code.htm

Our disabilities coordinator has asked me if a blind student could
attend, and be successful in, my Physics class in the Fall.

I said I wasn't sure and would have to meet with the student. She is
very motivated, and has good grades thus far. She needs only Algebra
based Physics for Medical school!

I told her we could try, but that I was not familiar with any aides to
teach Physics to the bilnd. Also, that much of our work deals with
force diagrams and pictures of what is happening, and I wasn't sure how
to "translate" all of that. I told her to wait for a few weeks and I'd
ask for help to see if it's possible.

So, this is my plea for help. I feel totally out of my element in this
area. Has anyone had experience with teaching a blind student,
Physics? Is there research somewhere that could help me? I don't want
to give her false hope, and then fail to help her achieve her goal
because I was unable to find the proper methodology to convey the
material.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Peter Schoch
Sussex County Community College

Dr. E. Leonard Jossem
Professor of Physics, Emeritus