Re: the Kelvin Wake again

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Leigh Palmer wrote:

I have now looked up the result in a book. The opening
angle of the wavelet fronts is 109.5 degrees, independent
of boat velocity. The book, "Bores, Breakers, Waves, and
Wakes" by R. A. R. Tricker, first published in 1964 by
Mills & Boon Limited, London, has a very clear derivation
which should be quite accessible to brighter IB students.
The downside is that the book itself is not very
accessible. I couldn't find it at six booksellers' web
sites that I tried.

On the topic of derivations of the Kelvin wake pattern: One of my all time
favorite physics articles is Frank Crawford's, "Elementary derivation of
the wake pattern of a boat," Am. J. Phys., Vol. 52, No. 9, September
1984, Pages 782 - 785. Very clean, very brief, very accessible, and
packed with physics.