Re: microwave, RF heating

At 03:41 PM 5/29/00 -0500, brian whatcott wrote:
I conclude that ice and water absorbed microwave energy at about the same
rate.

I'm surprised. Please retry the experiment placing the ice in
a) a styrofoam cup, with
b) holes punched in the bottom, so any liquid that forms can drain away.

I worry that your fancy glasses might be absorbing some heat by themselves,
and I worry that once liquid starts to accumulate we get runaway melting.

(This is contrary to the common-sense view offered by microwave cuseniers,
of course - that you need to defrost frozen items slowly.....)

Agreed, it's contrary to common experience, and inconsistent with my
experiments.

I expect John does not have a rotator fitted in his oven.

Guess again. My rotator works fine.