Re: microwave, RF heating

At 13:39 5/29/00 -0400, you wrote:
... The result of the experiment suggested in my previous email is that
ice absorbs vastly less power from the microwave oven than liquid water
does (other things being equal, i.e. when they are in the oven together).

With two seperate experiments, I cannot confirm John's result.

Here's the second effort:
I find that a champagne glass holding 8 gms ice slices at about -8 degC, and
a similar champagne glass holding as much water at about 10degC (the stem
height
bringing the test materials to mid height in the oven) and both vessels
rotated
at about 6 rpm shows the following effects after 2 min 30 secs:
Water modestly bubbling at boil.
Ice melted to lukewarm by finger test.

I estimate 8 x 80 + 8 X 8 + 8 X 12 = 800 cal input to the ice.
I estimate 8 X 90 = 720 cal input to the water

I conclude that ice and water absorbed microwave energy at about the same
rate.

(This is contrary to the common-sense view offered by microwave cuseniers,
of course - that you need to defrost frozen items slowly.....)

I expect John does not have a rotator fitted in his oven.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK