Re: microwave, RF heating

Intrigued by the description (see below) I just performed
a crude experiment with Crisco Puritan Canola Oil and
water. The temperature change of oil was higher (98-75 F)
than water (94-73 F), under identical microwave heating
conditions. Only kitchen instruments were used. Here are
some details:

Identical plastic cups 1.4 oz each. Identical amount of
fluids (3.0 oz, but only +/- 10% or a little less) in each
cup. Each cup, filled with the fluid (water and oil), was
placed in the same position in the microwave oven for
exactly 10 seconds. Final temperatures were measured
after stirring each fluid with the thermometer and after
checking that they were practically constant for at least
15 seconds.

Conclusion? The water was not "heated up much faster
than the oil" I used. Is the difference between the dT
of 23 F (oil) and 21 F (water) significant in view of
large errors in mass determinations? I am not eager to
drive to school and perform a better experiment. It is
clear that this experiment is not consistant with the
claim --> "The water heated up MUCH faster than
the oil". It was heated less fast than water.

Ludwik Kowalski

John Denker, after quoting from:

http://www.sharp.net.au/product_sales/mwo/microfaq.htm

2) I did the following experiment: 25cc of water in one
beaker, 25cc of salad oil in another beaker, put both in
microwave. The water heated up much faster than the oil.

asked:

Does anybody understand what is going on here?