Re: cellular phones

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

There was a TV program about the brain cancer
danger from cell phones last night. They said that
the measured dose rates (of electromatgetic radiation
absorbed in the head tissue) from common cell
phones exceeds the FCC recommended limit of
1.6 W/kg.

I am puzzled. For ionizing radiation the limit
I cannot document it but I believe the hypothesis
was that any carcinogenic effect of rf radiation
from telephones etc. was NOT owing to ionization but
to messing about with the kinetics of some specific,
competing biochemical reactions .. one enzyme or
growth factor getting the jump on some others.
I also think I recall that the connection had been
pretty soundly debunked. Might talk to some medico-
biophysical-chemists .. not I.
On the other hand, the incidence of bilateral
cataracts among aircraft radar repairmen during
and after WWII resulted from the back of their
cornea's being essentially microwaved by accidental
exposure to the beam.

Write a note to the professor whose
class you didn't really study for.
College professors don't make a lot of money.
They're here because they want to teach.
Tell them you're sorry!
-- Bill Cosby, to the graduating
class at F & M, 2000.

John N. Cooper, Chemistry