From: Herbert H Gottlieb <herbgottlieb@JUNO.COM>
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Origin of the old barometer story
Date: Tue, May 23, 2000, 6:24 PM

By the way, Judy... you wrote that the defendant knocked on the door
of the janitor and said that he would give the janitor a lovely barometer
if
the janitor would tell him the height of his building. The question
that I have
for you now is ...... "Who, or what, and how old, is a janitor?"

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we now have lots of building custodian engineers and
apartment house caretakers..... but janitors ? ? ? )