Re: Non-linear springs

Regarding Ed Schweber's question about a 1-D oscillator with a quadratic
restoring force spring (i.e. potential energy cubic in the displacement
from equilibrium: V(x) = (1/3)*k*|x|^3):
Since the amplitude is the only other factor that can effect the period
this seems to suggest that the formula for the period is

T = N*sqrt(m/k)*f(A)

where N is a constant and f(A) is some function of the amplitude.

So my questions are:

-am I correct so far?

Yes.

-is N = 2*pi as for a linear spring?

No, N is given by:

N = sqrt(8*[pi]/3)*GAMMA(1/3)/GAMMA(5/6) .

Here GAMMA(x) is the gamma function which is a continuous generalization
of the factorial function. In particular, GAMMA(z) = (z-1)! when z is a
positive integer, but the gamma function is also defined for other
arguments z as well. The gamma function is meromorphic in the complex
z plane being analytic everywhere except for its simple poles at each of
the non-positive integers.

I would quote you a numerical value for N but I'm posting from home and
don't have access to my copy (in my office) of Abramowitz & Stegun's
table of functions that would give values for GAMMA(1/3) and GAMMA(5/6).

- can f(A) by determined in closed form?

Yes. f(A) = 1/sqrt(A)

Thanks for any input

You're welcome.

David Bowman