Re: mist maker / electrostatic motor

Leigh wrote:
... My favorite electrostatics demos are the demountable
Leyden jar and the simple electrophorous.

What do you do with the Leyden jar and why is it a favorite? I have a
Leyden jar in my lab (was here when I arrived) but I have never done
anything with it other than say "Look! That's a Leyden jar and it was used
historically to store charge."

I am still developing my suite of estatic demos so I like to know what
others do. My students love the VdG. I also do unstacking pie plates.
I have a colleague who gets a big mouthful of rice crispies, points her
nose at the ceiling and charges herself up. The cereal comes flying out
in a fountain, to the ecstatic applause of her students. This may take
some skill -- I'm not as good at this stunt as she is (I'm not sure what
the trick is....)

David