Light Mill / electrostatic motor

At 7:27 AM -0700 5/18/00, Leigh Palmer wrote:

My conjecture about heating of the air being the cause of whirligig
motion is simply based on the seeming independence of the effect on
polarity. The light mill is well understood (I even understand it)

please share some of your understanding,
preferably without resorting to thermotranspiration
and such jargon.
(i.e. blindly invoking the authority of J.C. Maxwell just
don't cut it!)

and the "conventional" explanation is very wrong, but it is
irrelevant to the whirligig.

Why does heated air push on a pointed wire? Well, if that's where
the air is preferentially heated, where else would one expect it to
push?

And why does heated air push on the dark vane of the light mill?
This is EXACTLY my point with the light mill. What is the
difference????
A gas molecule rebounds from the dark side with MORE KE and momentum
and hence pushes the dark side.

britton@academic.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936