Re: mist maker / electrostatic motor

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese wrote:

Here's a question many of you (I presume) know. If I'm correct in assuming that the
charge ferried up is generated by the separation of the belt from the bottom pulley, what
is the purpose of the bottom set of needles?

In the tabletop VDG machines I've seen, the rollers act as the "cake" of
an electrophorus, while the comb acts as the grounded finger. The moving
belt acts both as the metal electrophorus plate, and as the wool which
charges the cake. Once charged, the roller can function continuously
without needing any further charging. The charged roller induces the
combs to spray charge upon the belt. Or from another perspective, the
grounded comb is trying to discharge the plastic roller, but the
insulating belt keeps intercepting the flowing charges.

Here's a diagram:
http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/emotor/belt.html

Also VDG machine page:
http://www.amasci.com/emotor/vdg.html

Note the photo on the above page. I can only perform HALF of the hair-
raising demo nowdays. :) But I've achieved such an advanced state of
enlightenment that under high-field conditions, orange rays shoot out of
my forehead.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com