----- Original Message -----
From: "Leigh Palmer" <palmer@SFU.CA>

A van de Graaff Generator is self-excited. If it is symmetrical
(top and bottom takeoff brushes identical) it should be possible to
produce either polarity of charge on the dome. I've tried initially
biasing our vdG with a battery, but I always get the same final
polarization direction. Should I try a Wimshurst to bias it?

Leigh