Oh no! The definition of weight again!

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Rick Tarara wrote:

I think you've introduced a 'third' definition of weight for which I would
guess there is little support. The choices as I understand them:

1) Weight is the gravitational attraction of the earth on a massive object.
(If the object is on the moon or Mars, substitute the moon or Mars for the
earth.) This definition leads to the discussion of apparent weight such as
an 'apparent weightlessness in orbit.'

2) Weight is the Net force as viewed within the frame of reference that
causes the contact between an object and what supports it.

I know what it means to talk about a force *of* contact, but what does it
mean to refer to forces that *cause* contact? For instance, what would
you point to as the force that "causes" the contact between my hand and a
baseball as I am throwing it? Would it have something to do with the
muscles *in* my hand? I sure wouldn't call that the ball's (or my hand's)
weight. I just think this gets impossibly murky.

For someone
standing on a scale, this is still a downward force (since the scale
actually reads the upwards force of the scale) ...

Given the third law, this may be a philosophical point, but I wouldn't say
that. I would say that the scale can only "read" a force that is exerted
*on* it.

... but includes the CENTRIFUGAL
component due to the earth's rotation, and any effects due to other
gravitational attractors. Because this view looks at the centrifugal force
as 'real' in the frame of reference where the object is at rest, then the
actual weight in orbit is zero.

Hmm. Suffice it to say I find this second definition completely
untenable.

3) The now introduced definition of weight as the downward force of an
object on it's support--a contact force. I'm not sure what the source of
that force is supposed to be if not (1).

I hope I have been consistent in previous discussions in making it clear
that this is my preferred definition of "weight." For instance, it is, I
think, what we are referring to when we talk about "bringing our weight to
bear" on something. I don't know why you should be confused about the
source of that force. As with *all* forces that deserve the name, its
source is the physical object that exerts it. When I stand on the ground,
the source of the force that I exert on the ground is me! Indeed the
source is explicit in the phrase "the force that *I* exert on the ground."