Re: Controversial Exam Questions - Not Ohm's Law

At 23.34 10/05/00 -0500, Doug Craigen wrote:
<deletions>

If I find the time I'll dig for some better example of an actual exam
question which would actually would split the Physics community to a
reasonable extent.

I offer this one without comment, except to say that the correct answer was
declared to be B (I wouldn't have minded if they had simply cancelled the
question!):

A woman is standing on a flat section of ground. Her weight is 500 N. Newton's
third law states that there must be an equal and opposite force to her weight,
which is

A. the Earth exerting an upward force of 500 N on the woman.

B. the woman exerting an upward force of 500 N on the Earth.

C. the woman exerting a downward force of 500 N on the Earth.

D. the Earth exerting a downward force of 500 N on the woman.

Mark

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic,
34013 Duino TS, Italy.