Controversial Exam Questions (WAS: R = V/I ?)

Mark Sylvester wrote:

This thread has been put into a certain wry perspective for me by a
question on paper 2 of the IB examination, which my students did on Monday
and I got to see today:

There is a plot of V vs I for a filament lamp, and in one line, for one
mark they had to "State whether or not the filament of the lamp obeys Ohm's
law"!

Ive tutored a lot students - and IB has been a large fraction. One
constant frustration is old exams or practice questions that they want
to go over which have more than one "right" answer in multiple choice
form. When its their own teacher's old exam I explain the debate and
tell them to ask their teacher which way (s)he is intending it, but when
its a widely distributed exam like IB I have to tell them to flip a coin
and hope for the best.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/