Re: R = V/I ?

I will touch on one idiom he uses (quoted above) that is not untypical of
that used by electrical engineers: what a PHYS-L contributor might call
- on a bad day - the reification of power.

Engineers are indeed wont to assign values to the power of a device.
They know of course that power is a rate of transforming energy.
They talk of power dissipation when they know the concept they have
in mind is energy dissipation.

I can almost hear Jim abjuring the phrase, "...the power received by a
battery..." I expect it would be a natural target for him, a usage quite
comparable to 'heat' incautiously used, (though energy and heat are the
analogous units.)

Brian W

I dunno Brian, there seem to be only so many evils one can deal
with: "transforming energy" and "energy dissipation" are enough for this
day -- I will just ignore the idea of power as a fluid for now.

But thanks at least for mentioning it.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen