Re: Optical pyrometers, was R = V/I ?

Joseph Bellina wrote:

Have you used a disappearing wire optical pyrometer? I find it
hard to imagine that different folks would read it differently...is
there data on this?

I tend to agree with what Leigh and Brian wrote about the objective/
subjective aspects of this instrument. But I still think that collecting
data and analyzing them to solve the problem conclusively would be
desirable. Perhaps somebody can do this and share the results.

In my design the experiment would involve about ten students and
each of them would be asked to make 15 measurements of temperature,
somewhere near 1000 C. I would disregard the first 5 measurements
of each student (as training) and focus on the last ten.

6 7 8 9 ... 15
Bob 1050 985 1010 ... ...
Linda 970 1005 1020
John 1067 1100 990
Mary 970 etc etc

A significant difference may, or may not, be discovered
between individual standard deviations (s1) and the group
standard deviation (s2). I would expect s2>s1.

The same activity for the grease spot photometer could be
organized to test for the subjective factor.
Ludwik Kowalski