Re: Optical pyrometers, was R = V/I ?

Have you used a disappearing wire optical pyrometer? I find it hard to
imagine that different folks would read it differently...is there data
on this?

joe

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Referring to a comment about a simple glowing wire pyrometer,
Leigh wrote:

I don't understand. An optical pyrometer is used to measure
temperature objectively. "Pyrometer" merely means any
instrument or device (slump cones are also pyrometric devices) .
used to measure high temperatures. A calorimetric radiometer
is only one kind of pyrometer (usually calleda "bolometer").

A measurement of T with a pyrometer in which we match colors
(of a glowing wire and of the background behind it) is "subjective",
in my terms, because abilities to compare colors are different for
different people. A standard deviation s1 could be determined if
many people were asked to measure T with the same color-based
instrument. That deviation, I suspect, would be considerably wider
than the one based on many measurements made by a single person.
And mean values of T would probably be different for different
observers. But that is only a guess. Another student project?
Ludwik Kowalski