Re: brightness vrs. power

At 15:16 5/4/00 -0400, Robert wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken (if I am, I'm sure someone will correct me)...
/snip/
you are comparing a single light bulb...

---------------X-------------

with the following series-parallel configuration...

/-----X------X-----\
----- -------
\-----X------X-----/

[snip]

That's right. If the power dissipated is greater, the beginning
student should expect the four lights to be brighter. They aren't.

Actually, I thought beginning students would guess (assuming constant
resistance) that the total current in each case would be the same and so
each light bulb in the second circuit would be half as bright as the lone
light bulb in the first circuit.

| Robert Cohen

If Robert believes that beginners expect twice the illumination from the
same electrical power input to a series parallel arrangement of four bulbs
as to a single bulb, does he give them too little credit, or do we give
him too much? :-)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK