Re: brightness vrs. power

Among other points he makes in his e-mail describing the results of
his experimental observations with bulbs and illuminance, Leigh writes

There's plenty to talk about in this demonstration. My most
important point is that Ohm's law is not an important one, and
that light bulbs are an unsatisfactory example of the application
of Ohm's law.

In Chabay and Sherwood's excellent text, "Ohm's Law" does not appear
in the index! In the text they note that "in some material s
conductivity is nearly a constant, independent of the amount of
current flowing through the resistor. We call ,such
constant-conductivity materials ohmic." That is certainly a good
put-down of the glorified Ohm's law.

Further, in their Instructor's Manual, they write: "In our experience,
students who have previously studied electric circuits have almost
always over-generalized Ohm's law, confusing it with the Kirchhoff
loop rule. They tend to think that V = IR is a fundamental physical
principle rather than merely describing the approximate behavior of
some materials (if the temperature doesn't change much)."

Brian McInnes