Re: Confirmation of Relativity

Tim Folkerts wrote:

I'm sure that most of us are aware that the lifetime of moving muons
provied a direct confirmation of time dilation. But today a students asked
about length contraction, and I had to admit I couldn't think of any
experiment that directly measured the effect. Of course, it has to work
for the rest of the theory to work, but is there a clear experiment that
confirms it directly?

Tim Folkerts
Fort Hays State University

I recently had to answer the same question. The only thing that came to
mind was the same muon decay results: From the standpoint of the
experimenter, the speeding muons have an abnormally long half-life and a
large percentage of them survive the descent from the upper atmosphere
down to sea level (confirmation of time dilation), but from the
standpoint of the muons, their half-life is the expected value and it is
the distance down to earth which is length-contracted, giving precisely
the same percentage of muon survival from the two different viewpoints.
In that sense the same experiment confirms time dilation and length
contraction!

But I wonder if some sort of laser-ranging might not be useable to
directly measure length contraction of a macroscopic object, after
time-of-flight effects are subtracted out, of course.

--
To get paid for your web-surfing time, click here:

<http://www.southern.edu/~chansen/EarnNSurf.html>

| Ken CAVINESS Physics at Southern Adventist University |
| caviness@southern.edu ESPERANTO = Lingvo internacia |
| http://southern.edu/~caviness/ E-o/English/Français/Deutsch |