Re: brightness vrs. power

Try looking at the filament with a hand held spectroscope. Use a Halo-Si lamp for a
greater range. (typical demo. for astronomy ,and Physics, students.)

more later.

bc

Barlow Newbolt wrote:

I think that your reasoning is perfect. It is not true that the
brightness of a light bulb is a linear function of the power level in
the operating filament. You have to worry abou the spectrum of a
thermal radiator. It may or may not be approximately a black-body
spectrum but that would be a good place to start.

In proof you might consider reducing the current in the filament until
no visible light is emitted. Only infrared radiation is coming from the
bulb, but the brightness is definitely zero.

Barlow Newbolt
Professor of Physics
Washington and Lee University
e-mail: newboltw@wlu.edu
telephone: 540-463-8881
fax: 540-463-8884
Office: Howe 218

"Had I been present at the creation, I would have given
some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe."

Alphonso X, Learned King of Spain (1252 - 1284)