Re: cosmology and quantum gravity

Jack wrote in part:

Forgive me, please, for being inarticulate. I
thought that I was
clear in restricting my comments to the mathematical blowing up.
Let me try again: the description of gravity in the
conventional
(Schwarzchild) coordinates requires the coordinates to have a
singularity
at the event horizon. I was silent as to the physical consequences of
that singularity, which requires an interpretation in the language of
clocks and measuring rods.
David Bowman has now described at some length the consequences
of approaching and crossing over the event horizon. Implicit in his
discussion is the fact that there is physics involved in setting up a
coordinate system, because the coordinate system implies the manner of
making time and distance measurements.

I often don't read Phys-L on the weekend, so I often get behind the 8-ball
at the weeks transition. After seeing the above, I think we all are on the
same page. Having just seen on saturday night our local production of
"Much ado about Nothing", I'll stop my contributions to this thread.
Joel