Re: Physics Myth (?) #1

Tom Sandin offered, in an aside:
If you eat equal amounts of pasta and antipasta, will you still be hungry?

At 13.28 28/04/00 -0700, James G. Pengra critiqued:
Cute, I'll have to remember that one. Actually, I think it's antepasta, but
only a churl (or a pedagog) would insist on it.

At 10:17 4/29/00 +0200, Mark riposted:
The "appetiser" course comes before the meal and so is called "antipasto".
"Antipasta" is a common though understandable error. "Ante" is the Latin
form of the prefix. It has evolved to "anti" in Italian.

Mark

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic,
34013 Duino TS, Italy.

There are times when the innocent reader sighs at the parade
of hobby horses, ownership of which is after all, a part of the
rich texture of an academic life; but at times like this, one
rejoices for the act of random scholarship, and chews on it
no less appreciatively than the truffle goat, allowed his tithe
of the oaken harvest in Sardinian woods while columns of little
flies, rejoicing on the scent of Tuber, are brushed aside.

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK