Re: cosmology and quantum gravity

What's going on is that you have to look at the entire universe,
not just the black hole (something like donuts). The Schwarzchild
geometry is the geometry of a universe with a large mass at the center.
The static gravitational effects that we can observe are embedded in the
metric (more strictly, the curvature) outside of the horizon. In the
usual metric, the gravitational effects get larger and larger as we
approach the black hole until they blow up at the horizon, where there is
a coordinate singularity. So the answer is that the mass at the center
of the black hole has distorted all of space; part of that distortion is
the event horizon that bounds the black hole.
Regards,
Jack

Adam was by constitution and proclivity a scientist; I was the same, and
we loved to call ourselves by that great name...Our first memorable
scientific discovery was the law that water and like fluids run downhill,
not up.
Mark Twain, <Extract from Eve's Autobiography>