From: phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu]On Behalf Of THOMAS SANDIN
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 9:55 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Physics Myth (?) #1

We've all heard various "urban myths". Is the
following a "physics
myth" or did it actually happen? If so, do you have an authoritative
reference?

Some experimental psychologists, knowing that the eyes form
an inverted
real image on the retina and that the mind then inverts the
image so that
we see things upright, fitted human subjects with an optical
system that
added another inversion, so that the real image on the retina was
upright. The mind at first continued to invert the image, so
the subjects
perceived what they saw as upside-down.
Then, after a period of time (how long?), the mind stopped
its inversion
and the subjects saw things upright again.
Finally, the psychologists removed the optical system. At first things
appeared to be upside down (as the mind continued not
inverting), but then
the mind started inverting again and the subjects were back to normal.

So--did this really happen--or is it just a physics myth?

On another subject:
Here's a question to ask your class after talking about pair
annihilation: If you eat equal amounts of pasta and
antipasta, will you
still be hungry?
Tom Sandin