Re: cosmology and quantum gravity

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Rodney Dunning wrote:

Zach Wolff wrote:

2. By definition nothing from within the event horizon
ever escapes beyond the event horizon.

I would look at 2 more carefully. How does 2 account for Hawking radiation?

As I understand it, Hawking radiation is the result of interactions that
take place in the ergosphere, a region outside the actual event horizon
but inside the stationary limit of a rotating black hole. Because a
rotating object drags spacetime around with it, there is a region in which
one cannot stand still, but can still escape the ultimate plunge.

I'm not sure I've got this quite right so I will simply offer it as bait
for David Bowman. If I do manage to entice him and if I do have this
anything like correct, I wonder if he can answer another question which
just occurs to me: Can a *non*rotating black hole emit Hawking radiation?