mathematics & science (or at least engineering)

The recent comments about physical causes vs. mathematics in the reflection
pulse prompts me to copy the quote in the issue of AJP that just arrived.

"... Indeed, for more than 40 years I have claimed that if whether an
airplane would fly or not depended on whether some function that arose in
its design was Lebesgue *but not Riemann* integrable, then I would not fly
in it. Would you? Does Nature recognize the difference? I doubt it!"

quoted from AJP as Quoted from

R. W. Hamming, "Mathematics on a Distant Planet," Am. Math. Monthly, V
105(7),640-650 (1998).

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu