openings at CPU workshops for hs teachers

4/18/00
Below is information about CPU workshops for high school physics and
physical science teachers in summer 2000.

Almost all have openings. Almost all welcome out-of-state teachers.

Modeling Instruction and CPU are similar curriculum designs, in which
students construct models of physical phenomena. The difference is that the
Modeling Instruction materials include significant mathematical modeling,
whereas CPU Units, as presently designed, focus primarily on helping
students develop conceptual models. Consequently, at schools where
students take a qualitative physics or physical science course prior to a
more quantitatively-oriented physics course, CPU would be better suited for
the first course and Modeling for the second.

ARKANSAS
Arkansas State Univ (Prof. Andy Sustich, leader) July 10-28
Sound & waves, nature of matter
sustich@navajo.astate.edu
I asked Andy: "Can teachers from out of state apply?" He replied,
"While most of the funding comes from state Eisenhower funds,
enough comes directly through the CPU Project that we can
support a few out-of-state teachers (probably up to around 5). We
provide a dorm room and breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria. A
stipend of $600 per teacher is provided and they will offset their
dinner expenses. We have no travel money for teachers. Six
graduate credit hours in physics are available, but for out-of-state
teachers, this will run about $2,000. They can come and take the
workshop and get the $600 stipend as well without signing up for
graduate credit. [And we will be arranging around $300 worth of
take-home equipment for implementing the curriculum in their
classroom.]"

CALIFORNIA
Cal State - Fullerton (Roger Nanes, leader)
One workshop on these dates: June 26-30, July 5-7, 10-13.
Light, force & motion, static e & m
Out-of-state teachers can apply. No dorm housing, but Roger Nanes
can suggest nearby housing, he told me. rnanes@fullerton.edu

San Diego State Univ (Roy McCullough, leader) July 7 - 21
Roy McCullough told me, "The topics will be Waves and Sound, and
Light and Color. Sharon Bendall of CPU is handling all arrangements for
participants, so you may wish to contact her regarding that issue."
cpu@www.sci.sdsu.edu
It is for secondary teachers; pedagogy will be emphasized

DELAWARE
Univ of Delaware (Mary Anne Wells, leader) July 31-Aug. 11
mawells@udel.edu.
Mary Anne told me, "Our workshop will focus on Motion, Force, and
Mechanical Energy for Grade 9. Interested modelers are welcome to contact
me for more information." "If there is room (class limit: 20), I would
welcome participation from those out of state who wish to learn more about
using CPU (and receive the software/curricular materials)... There is a
stipend ($500) provided by CPU, but participants must choose between a
stipend or credit (U of D policy). There is a workshop fee ($450) that
pays for expenses such as housing, parking, meals, etc. The fee is Title
II eligible. Anyone who is out-of-state could be registered as a 'workshop
participant' rather than taking it for credit, if they choose. Delaware
teachers are not charged tuition in the summer and out-of-state tuition is
very expensive."

INDIANA
Indiana/Purdue Univ (Prof. Forrest Meiere, leader) June 12-30
Force & motion, light, static e & m
(middle & hs teachers; content and pedagogy)
meiere@iupui.edu
I asked Forrest, "Can teachers from out of state apply?" He answered,
"YES but we have no funds this year to provide housing or meal allowance.
Also, we have our own web site http://www.physics.iupui.edu/cpu.";

MAINE
Kennebec Valley Technical College (Earl Coombs, leader) July 10-21
Force & motion, static e & m, light and color
ecoombs@mint.net
Earl said, "Teachers from out of state can apply, however there will be 5
follow-up days during the school year in addition to the 10 days during the
summer. It would probably be impractical for anyone outside of New England
to meet that requirement. We cannot provide housing, but participants
will get a
stipend of $200 per week. Teachers can email for additional information."

MICHIGAN
Western Michigan Univ (Prof. Bob Poel, leader)
July 10-14, 2000 Topic: Light & Color
July 24-28, 2000 Topic: The Nature of Matter
bob.poel@wmich.edu
Bob Poel told me, "Secondary physics or physical science teachers can apply
to either or both workshops. We can arrange some housing in a dorm, but
they are not air-conditioned and the weather can be oppressive in Michigan
in July. Graduate credit is optional and this is through our Division of
Continuing Education and therefore out-of-state rates do not apply. A
stipend of $250 per week is granted."

MISSOURI
Rockhurst Univ, Kansas City (Jessica Thompson, leader) June 14-29
Force & motion, current electricity
(middle & hs teachers; content and pedagogy)
jessiet@sky.net
Jessie told me, "We have focused on Missouri teachers because we have
funding from the state of Missouri Eisenhower Grants. If we accept out of
state teachers, they may not get the same benefits (like equipment kits.)"

OHIO
Youngstown State Univ (Jodi McCullough, leader) June 12-30
static e & m + current electricity

Ashland University (Jodi McCullough, leader) Aug. 7-18
"Both Ohio workshops are MIXED content and pedagogy. Both are for
elementary through high school teachers."
jmccul@hotmail.com

PENNSYLVANIA
Fox Chapel HS/Shady Side Academy (Dan & Kathy Malone, leaders) July 10-25
kmalone+@pitt.edu
FULL.
"Current electricity for the first six days. Afterwards, teams will break
up into action research groups to start one other unit of their choice.
After several days of study they will report back to the whole group. The
participants are receiving a stipend of $210 and an equipment grant of
$420....there is a waiting list."

TENNESSEE
Middle Tennessee State Univ (Prof. Paul Lee, leader) June 12-30
plee@physics.mtsu.edu
Paul Lee told me, "Program is residential (involves some evenings).
Program is content AND pedagogy with an emphasis on content and activities.
The target teachers are high school physics and physical science teachers
and physical science teachers at grades 7-8. Program is for TWO summers;
the date is correct for the beginners. Participants receive a stipend,
materials, room & board allowance and 14 hours of graduate credit over the
two summers."

WASHINGTON STATE
Prof. Jim Stewart of Western WA State Univ. told me, "Our target group is
teachers of grades 4-8 although we do sometimes accept high school teachers
particularly if they are with a team which includes teachers from the
target group. We will be doing the Light & Color and Waves & Sound units
this summer as content workshops so I'm not sure they would be appropriate
for high school physics teachers.... People are certainly welcome to email
questions to me. <jstewart@physics.wwu.edu>

Jane Jackson, Dir., Modeling Workshop Project
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331. http://modeling.la.asu.edu

"In the matter of physics, the first lessons should
contain nothing but what is experimental and interesting
to see. A pretty experiment is in itself often more
valuable than twenty formulae extracted from our minds."
- Albert Einstein