Re: Hollow Earth

I would agree with Bob that under ideal (no air resistance, etc.)
conditions the motion will be harmonic, provided the density is
uniform. If the density is not uniform then the restoring force
would not be proportional to the distance from the center, as
necessary for the SHM.

Bob Yeend wrote:

I think this thread started with a question about whether or not an object
dropped through a hole bored from the north to the south pole would
experience simple harmonic motion.

That seemed reasonable to me, given the assumptions - no friction,
temperature near core wouldn't melt the object, the earth is homogeneous . .
.

Someone, however, (perhaps Leigh?) posted that it would not, but didn't give
an explanation. Please help with the explanation.