Re: Hollow Earth

At 06:44 24 04 2000 , Barlow wrote:
I must have missed the crutial part of this! Why are we in a struggle
with theories of a hollow earth? Is it supposed to make geomagnetism
easier to understand? What might it do for our theories if we
postulated a hollow earth? It seems to me that the mass comes out
pretty well if you assume that the earth is solid throughout with
something that has a density about the same as that of iron ore. Is
there any observational information that can be more easily explained
with a "hollow" earth? Unfortunately, geophysics is not my forte!
W. B. Newbolt

Barlow, it was _my_ question which began this thread, I did not mean to
try to explore the truth of the idea of a hollow Earth, but rather the
history of this question. I think that an appeal to seismic data ought to
satisfy most of us -- just as most of us are pretty well satisfied that the
Earth is not "flat" -- nevertheless there are many who do accept the
picture of a flat Earth -- just as there are many who at least entertain
the idea of a hollow Earth or at least that the picture is not out of the
question. I think that Haley, Euler, Byrd, etc have been given as
examples of proponents -- I don't think that many of us would dismiss them
as total nuts. They did believe that they have credible data -- and some
still accept that data.

I think that a competent scientist would at least incorporated these ideas
somewhere in the dark reaches of his/her mind -- rather than feel something
like "I don't believe it therefore it is total nonsense".

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen