Re: Indices of refraction are complex??

A quick jump to a conclusion (I'm too lazy to compare carefully). But a wave eq. is a
wave eq. i.e. have the same form. Therefore, if the QM wave eq. has a complex soln., the
the EM one does.

bc

Digby Willard wrote:

Remember, also, that indices of refraction are complex!

That's news to me. Might be something I once knew, but it rings no bells.
My understanding of indices of refraction comes from Huygens' Principle and
Snell's Law, as applied at the high school level.

Could you elaborate a bit? If possible, keep the elaboration to advanced
high school level or a bit beyond.

Digby Willard
Central HS
St. Paul, MN