MARCH TPT, The Socratic Method

In his 2/21/00 Phys-L post "MARCH TPT," Rick Tarara wrote:

".......... Dewey's group also gets blasted in an editorial ......(in
the March 2000 issue of "The Physics Teacher")....."

I assume that Rick may use the term "Dewey's group" to mean
"physics-education research and development" (PERD).

In his sprightly editorial "Buzzwords and Newspeak," TPT editor Cliff
Swartz has this to say (among other things) about PERD:

"In case you aren't keeping up these days, I thought it might be
helpful if I explained some of the new .....(PERD).... words

-'Socratic dialogue.' The epitome of the Socratic method is
described in Plato's 'Meno'. We ran this account in the March 1994
issue of "The Physics Teacher," word for (translated) word, figuring
that it was its own parody. It's hard to do a parody of a parody, so
we'll say no more about it here. If you really want to understand
the method, better look it up in TPT .....(1)...... or in the
original Greek. Suffice to say that Socrates tried it with only one
slave boy. If you have more than one in your class, better forget
it."

Among those who have NOT forgotten the Socratic Method but instead
have used it effectively in their physics teaching (with more than a
single slave boy) are, e.g., Arons(3); Redish, Saul, and Steinbeg(4);
McDermott, Shaffer, Somers, and Vokos(5), and myself.(6)

The Socratic Method used so successfully by the above is NOT derived
from the FICTIONAL Socrates of Plato's imagination as depicted in
Meno (1,2), but rather from the REAL historical Socrates as
researched by the late great Gregory Vlastos (7-10).

For those who might wish to experience the REAL Socratic Method first
hand, Rudy Sirochman and I will be presenting a workshop (11) at the
AAPT Guelph meeting in July. The deadline for early registration for
the meeting is 5/26/00.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>