Re: Fresnel Lenses

I'm beginning to think there are two types of critter that go by the name
Fresnel.

*) In the lighthouses I've seen, the goal is evidently collimation not
imaging, and the Fresnel has only about N=10 segments. The difference
between something that scales like N and something that scales like sqrt(N)
won't be completely overwhelming. Unphased rings must be OK in this case.

*) OTOH there are Fresnels that have _thousands_ of rings and produce
images, not just collimation. I don't see how unphased rings could
possibly work in this case.

You can produce an image with a condenser lens from a slide projector.
They are cast and are certainly not ground to optical tolerances.
Even a crummy Fresnel lens will produce an image of sorts, the crummier
the lens, the crummier the image. No great attention is paid to grinding
or polishing these things. The lighthouse lenses I have seen are usually
beautiful objects. They should produce rudimentary images as well, but I
have never had one in such a position that I could play with it in that
way. (I would have done so had it been possible.)