Re: How atrocious is "center of gravity"?

You neglected to mention that as the stick oscillates its center of
gravity, as you have defined it, moves within the body with respect
to the center of mass. In what way is this center of gravity useful?
Can I not calculate the torque about the center of mass without
resorting to use of the center of gravity? Don't I need to calculate
the torque anyway to find the center of gravity? In the vertical
position the position of your weight-weighted center of gravity is
extremal, that's all. Why does one need a special term to pertain to
that point?

You have merely given a way to parameterize the tidal interaction
here. There is no significant utility to the concept of center of
gravity.

Leigh

"Center of mass" is a mass-weighted average position. "Center of
gravity" is a gravitational force-weighted average position (I could have
said "weight-weighted"). If g is essentially constant over the system,
the center of gravity is essentially at the center of mass. Then we can do
without the term "center of gravity".
However, here's an example where both terms are useful. Suppose a
meter stick is in orbit about the earth. If the stick is NOT horizontal,
particles of the stick closer to the earth have a bit more gravitational
force than equal-mass particles farther from the earth. As a result, the
center of gravity is below the center of mass. Since we can treat the
entire weight of the stick as acting at its center of gravity, the weight
of the stick exerts a torque about the stick's center of mass, tending to
align the stick's long axis with the earth's gravitational field.
This torque can be used to orient satellites (my memory is that
the jargon is something like gravitational-gradient orientation). Allowed
to swing freely, the stick will oscillate back and forth about its
alignment position. It's not hard to get a good approximation for its
period using centers of gravity--I did so many years back when the AAPT
was looking for experiments to be done in orbit.
Tom Sandin