Re: green laser question

At 11:36 AM -0600 4/13/00, Larry Smith wrote:
Can Helium-Neon be made to lase at other than the usual wavelength?

The Sargent Welch catalog has a green laser (550 nm) that they claim is a
solid state diode laser (this makes sense to me). But the company that
makes it, Metrologic, has a similar picture in its catalog but specifically
claims (twice) that it is a green _He-Ne_ laser. Somebody is confused, and
it could be me.

I wrote to Metrologic who confirmed that it _is_ He-Ne, as many of you have
explained. They are also contacting Sargent Welch to tell them that the
laser on page 746 of their 200-2001 catalog is He-Ne, not solid state
diode. Thanks for all your help.

Also thanks to Bernard who privately pointed out that my last phrase should
have read "it could be I" instead of "it could be me."

Larry