Re: Inductance

Leigh Palmer wrote:

At 5:53 AM -0700 4/13/00, Lemmerhirt, Fred wrote:

Could you elaborate (briefly) on this objection?

I was merely asserting a matter of personal taste here. I hold
that the term "potential" (or "potential difference") pertains
implicitly to a quantity in a conservative field, most commonly
electrical or gravitational. I only use it in an appropriate
context. "Voltage" would be quite satisfactory, but in the case
of an inductor I prefer "emf" or even "back emf". It is hard to
understate the difficulty encountered by the average student
when he first encounters this concept. I like to make it as
easy as I can for him to recognize that this is different from
the electrostatic potential case.

I wholeheartedly agree with this last statement, but from my point of
view "emf" (electromotive force) is about as confusing a term as has
ever been foisted upon us. After our students are finally comfortable
with the word "force" (and may even have stopped confusing it with
pressure), I do _not_ want them to get the idea that voltage is a force!

Ken
--
To get paid for your web-surfing time, click here:

<http://www.southern.edu/~chansen/EarnNSurf.html>

| Ken CAVINESS Physics at Southern Adventist University |
| caviness@southern.edu ESPERANTO = Lingvo internacia |
| http://southern.edu/~caviness/ E-o/English/Français/Deutsch |