Re: 2 source interference - setup

At 13:31 4/10/00 -0400, you wrote:

.... we also found that
whereas a pair of cheap midrange speakers gave a weak
interference pattern, a pair of expensive two-way speakers (which
were louder and thus should have been better) didn't work at all.
- I'd be interested to hear more.

Gary Hemminger

There is an aspect of Gary's description which is non intuitive.
It doesn't necessarily follow that expensive speakers are
going to put out more sound. (They often are rated for higher
electrical power input, it's true.)

In fact, the onset of 'hi-fi' these many years ago, marked
the need for much more output power to drive the speakers in their
lossy enclosures. Loss in an enclosure was an easy way to dump the
audible coloration available from a simply mounted speaker being
fed 3 to 10 watts.

What I suspect is happening in Gary's set up is the lack of an aural
equivalent of two slits: specifically, I doubt he has a board which
mounts both speakers. I would be tempted to place a round speaker near
both ends of a plain board ; a 4X8 ft ply board would be splendid with
two similar speakers ("drive units"). An octave increase would restore
the difraction he is looking for, possibly.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK