Re: 2 source interference - setup

At 01:31 PM 4/10/00 -0400, GARY HEMMINGER wrote:

Using a wavelength somewhere around a meter we set up our
speakers about five lambdas apart and facing across the field.

Did you check the directionality of the speakers?
Did you check the directionality of the microphone?
Did you measure |A| and |B| and |A+B| separately, or just |A+B|?
Did you account for the wind?
Did you measure the variation of |A| with height?
Did you measure the THD (total harmonic distortion) of your generator / amp
/ speakers / mike / analyzer?
Did you clap your hands to get an estimate of the echo intensity from
obstructions in all directions (including behind the speakers)?

> I doubt that crossovers are a factor.

There seem to be differing opinions here - I'd be interested to hear
more.

The laws of physics are not usually considered matters of
opinion. Collecting more opinions is unlikely to settle the issue.

Can you pose a more specific question?

Do you think crossovers are a factor? If so, can you state a hypothesis as
to why Floquet's theorem (as previously discussed) does not apply?

Have you considered the competing explanations for the lack of an
easily-observable interference pattern? Can you rule them out?