Re: chaos text

A book that I found to be pretty good is "Order Within Chaos," by Berge,
Pomeau, & Vidal, (ISBN 0471849677). It was used as a text in an
upper-division nonlinear dynamics course that I took. Its level is such,
though, that if you've had some undergraduate mechanics it shouldn't be too
much of a stretch. The main drawback is that its price seems to have
skyrocketed--Amazon lists it at US$175.

I just finished reading James Gleick's excellent book
_Chaos_. I would like to read a more mathematical
treatment of the same subject, but something that is
still accessible. I have taken only one course in
differential equations and three semesters of college
physics.

Stephen D. Murray
Physicist, A Division
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
phone: (925) 423-9382 FAX: (925) 423-0925
email: sdmurray@llnl.gov
web page: http://members.home.com/murraysj/