[Fwd: [Fwd: Concerned about grades]]

Jeff Sweet wrote:

Bernard,

I identify with this part:

My explanation to students has always been that
there is very little "padding" on my exams, and that someone who might get
30% or so on a multiple-choice exam in another course without "opening the
book" would probably get something closer to zero on a physics exam.

On the chemistry exam I gave last Friday (a multiple-choice test with a
"guessing penalty) a student who never opens the book got a zero. If I
didn't establish zero as the lowest possible score, this particular student
would have actually received a negative score!

Jeff