From: "Bob Sciamanda" <trebor@VELOCITY.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2000 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: Current in a wire

Sorry to enter this fray so late - I was "away".

Re: the distribution of unbalanced charge in a current carrying
conductor
(arises perennially on Phys-L) :

1) The continuity equation and (the point version of) Ohms "law" require
that Div E (and therefore the volume charge density be non-zero wherever
there is a (spatial) gradient in the conductivity. This occurs at the
wire surfaces, wire bends, tapered wire sections, junctions of different
conductors, etc.

2) The above predicts that the interior of a straight, homogeneous,
right
circular conductor would be neutral. An AJP article by Peters added the
(pinch) effect of the current's own magnetic field on the charge
carriers
to show that there must be a balancing interior radial E field and so an
interior charge density which is a function of the cylindrical radial
coordinate. If necessary I can recover the reference to Peter's paper.
(This interior radial field and charge density are weak effects under
normal circumstances.)

Bob