breaking glasses

I dropped a plate the other day and watched it bounce,
then break on its second impact. I think I've noticed
this happen fairly often, although my memory is
admittedly colored by selective attention and limited
to a fairly small sample. I talked to two friends in
the restaurant business who get to watch glasses break
all the time. They reported that it is very common
for glasses to break on second impact. One actually
offered this information without my asking, in a
fortuitous coincidence. My question is, why?

Zach