Re: active learning for special relativity

One of the project topics our students (mostly those in an introductory
course on the Solar System) can choose to take is:
"Sci Fi Short Story
Write a science fiction short story which extensively uses astronomy
concepts from the unit(s) you are enrolled in. Also include an
explanatory postscript detailing which astronomy ideas in the story are
correct, and which ones you have had to 'stretch' for the sake of the
story. Your mark will be based partly on the quality of the story but
largely on the accuracy of your use and discussion of astronomy in your
story and postscript."
It's fun to mark, and the couple of students who have chosen it so far
have enjoyed it too. I have an American student in our relativity &
cosmology student who wants to write one this semester with a special &
general relativity setting, which could be quite challenging.
Cheers
Margaret

--
Dr. Margaret Mazzolini
Astronomy Course Coordinator

Visit Swinburne Astronomy Online, online courses in astronomy:
http://www.swin.edu.au/astronomy/