Re: Geiger, not binomial ?

At 10:09 AM 3/24/00 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
I am not comfortable with the p of a binomial distribution.
Since the mean=p*n (using n for the number of attempts
and r for the number of successes) then p depends on n.

Let's pin down the notation:
p = probability of a PARTICULAR atom decaying per unit time
= an intensive quantity
N = total number of atoms in the sample
= an extensive quantity
R = mean counting rate, counts per unit time
= an extensive quantity

So in this notation, R = pN

Since the mean=p*n (using n for the number of attempts
and r for the number of successes) then p depends on n.
This conflict with a view that p is an intrinsic property of
a setup.

Whether or not p depends on N depends on what you consider constant.

A) In the case where we are given two samples of unknown provenance, but
with the same observed R, then
* one could have a large p and a small N, while
* the other could have a small p and a large N.

So yes, under conditions of constant R, p depends inversely on N. In this
case, p is not an intrinsic property of the setup.

B) In the more-common case that we have two samples of the identical
substance, then p is a property of the setup, and is constant, and R is
proportional to N.

Is it not true that p-->r/n when n-->oo? Defined
in that way it should not depend on n.

In case B, yes, R/N converges to an excellent estimate for p.

Example: trying to hit a target with an arrow. My skill
for being successful can be described by the probability
of a hit in a single trial. If p=0.2 then I am expected to
hit the target 2 out of 10 attempts. In reality the outcome
will fluctuate around 2. In this case n is given and all is
fine.

This seems to be an example of case B, because p is given.

But in the case of a Geiger counter (where the mean was
2.20) both n=170 and n=340 give a satisfactory fit to
experimental data. This implies that both p=0.0129 and
p=0.00647 are OK. How can it be?

It's an example of case A. You haven't presented any hint of _a priori_
knowledge of p or N.

Isn't the objective
probability of recording one event per unit time equal
to 0.24 (7278/30058)?

That's certainly not p. I don't know what to call it; perhaps we can call
it X(1). It's definitely not the p that you plug into the binomial formula.

You can see this easily with a spreadsheet: choose a p on the order of
0.02 and N on the order of 100. Use the binomial formula to calculate
X(0), X(1), X(2), et cetera. X(1) is nowhere near p.

Is the word "probability" used
for two different things in this "paradox"?

The difference is in the word "probability" and/or in the word
"event". Different events have different probabilities.

Suppose I roll two dice (one red and one green). Rolling red=5 and green=2
is an event. Rolling something that adds up to 7 is a different event,
with a different probability.