Re: Current in a wire

At 03:44 PM 3/22/00 -0600, John P Lewis wrote:
My belief is that if a wire were connected to some sort of emf current
should flow throughout the entire wire. I have a colleague in electronics
who maintains that the charge travels only on the exterior surface of the
conductor.

At DC it travels throughout the area of the wire. (Current goes one way,
electrons go the other way.)

At high frequencies, it travels only near the surface. Reason: the
current is deflected by its own magnetic field. You can read about "skin
depth" in typical solid-state physics books and E&M books.