Re: Concerned about grades

Mr. Monce:

As a student taking any kind of class in high school and college, I
personally did not like any kind of curved grading scale. It never really
made sense to me why my grade should in any depend upon that of my peers. I
was always in favor of a straight scale, point-for-point type system.
However, I do like the approach that you outline below:

this scheme,
points lost on an hourly exam can be made up on the final.
The grading
structure thus rewards learning over the course of the
semester. For the
instructor, this requires a segmented final to correspond to
the material
on the hourly exams, and a little more book keeping that is
easily done on
spread sheet.

I can see where grading like this creates a bit more work for the
instructor, but I also can see the added benefit for the student. If the
student has a weak area that needs to be revisited, it can easily be done on
the final. And it takes away much of the competitive strain that can be
induced in a science class with a curved grading scale.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen a difference in dropout rates
while using this system vice when you were using a curve?

Take care!
-Jassen Bowman