Re: PHYS-L Digest - 17 Mar 2000 - Special issue (#2000-95)

At 2:34 PM -0800 3/17/00, Glenn A. Carlson wrote:
Strictly speaking, a system at equilibrium cannot change; hence, even
speaking theoretically, isobaric, isochoric, isothermal, isentropic
processes are nonequilibrium processes even in the ideal.

That said, he continues:

But they
can be described "as if" passing through a series of "equilibrium
states" if they are assumed to be infinitesimally close to equilibrium
throughout the process. In reality this would necessitate that they
occur infinitely slowly. Real processes do not occur infinitely
slowly and, thus, are not infinitesimally close to equilibrium.
However, real gases achieve equilibrium very quickly, which is why
equilibrium thermodynamics describes such nonequilibrium processes so
well.

What does "ideal" mean to you, Glenn? Surely equilibrium thermodynamics
cannot be said to fail when applied to real thermodynamic processes.
If it isn't of any use in those cases then what is it good for?

To test your understanding of equilibrium thermodynamics, consider
this question: Water is supposed to boil at 100 deg C at 1 atmosphere
pressure. But, if so, can you explain to a student why water
evaporates at room temperature?

This would appear to be a nonsequitur. The words "boil" and "evaporate"
pertain to different processes. Whom do you presume to be testing? Do
you suspect that I do not understand elementary thermodynamics?

Finally, to pick a nit, thermodynamic states are not static
equilibrium states. Even exactly at equilibrium, they are quite
dynamic -- exchanging energy between molecules, transferring energy
and molecules from one part of the volume to another. Even the
average values of entropy, pressure, density, internal energy, etc.
are not "static". They fluctuate about average values, and the
magnitudes of the fluctuations are inversely proportional to the
number of particles.

Thermodynamic equilibrium states subsume static equilibrium states.
A box of gas in an unchanging state of thermodynamic equilibrium is
in static equilibrium by conventional definition.

What I did not state explicitly in my explanation, and what I
expect Antti assumed, was that the system under consideration is
the standard isobaric expansion system, a vertical cylinder
containing a gas by means of a frictionless piston which is held
at a level at which the gas pressure times the piston area is
equal to the weight of the piston. When the gas in the cylinder
is heated it expands isobarically.

The reason I respond here is that I thought I did a good job of
answering Antti's question. Glenn's response should not be taken
as clarifying mine, but I fear that that is what he intended, and
somehow I don't think it helped one bit.

I ask, please, that Glenn *only* reply to my questions; I would
not like to see a mob battle over a point which is only important
to me. (I would also like to hear if Antti found my explanation
to be lacking something. For him I would gladly correct any error
I may have made.)

Leigh