Re: A true story ? (fwd)

This story is totally false...but funny.
You can find the following at various places around the internet.

Re: The Mr. Gorsky Joke

I have to tell you that the "Mr. Gorsky" story is actually
not true at all. The story is completely ephemeral, made up by comedian
Buddy Hackett as part of his stand-up routine.

Woody Smith NASA HQ WWW Curator: Following quote from the
Apollo Lunar Surface Journal:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a11/ "One small step":
During
November 1995, a clever (and rather risqué) story was widely
circulated on the Internet concerning a statement Neil is supposed to have
made during the Apollo 11 EVA. At the
suggestion of several readers, let me state that Neil never
said "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" at any time during the mission. Indeed, on
November 28, 1995, Neil wrote, "I understand that the
joke is a year old. I first heard it in California delivered
by (comedian) Buddy Hackett."

--Information provided by Jerry Stone, jstone@uk.mdis.com

The tale below was forwarded to me for verification. It's not a tale I'd
heard before - can anyone on the list provide a definitive yea or nay on
whether this is history or urban legend (which it certainly sounds like - I
don't recall the comment, and I was 18 years old and glued to my television
during the Apollo 11 moonwalk.)?

Please answer off-list, since this isn't really physics or physics education
related!

"All shall be well, and all shall be well,
and all manner of thing shall be well."
- Julian of Norwich
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505
phone: (804) 752-7344 FAX (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/

I have seen this over and over. I can't believe it is true. Do you know?

Subject: great true story

On July 20, 1969, as commander of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module, Neil
Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon. His first
words after stepping on the moon, "That's one small step for a man,
one giant leap for mankind," were televised to Earth and heard by
millions. But just before he reentered the lander, he made the enigmatic
remark: "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky." Many people at NASA thought it was a
casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut.
However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian
or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned
Armstrong as to what the "Good luck Mr. Gorsky" statement meant,
but Armstrong always just smiled. On July 5, 1995, in
Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a
reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong.
This time he finally responded.
Mr. Gorsky had died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer
the question. In 1938 when he was a kid in a small midwest town, he was
playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly
ball, which landed in his neighbor's yard by the bedroom> windows.
His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up
the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Sex!
You want sex?" You'll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"