Re: Simple radio signal

Also, a radio will pick up the noise from across the room when you turn a
Wimshurst. Then put the radio in a cage.

Sam

Bob Muir wrote:

Folks,
We are immersed in the em signals from many, many sources, albeit,
not all in the rf part of the spectrum.

A simple receiver found in most departments is the oscilloscope.
Simply let a wire (about 1 m long)(= antenna) dangle from the input.
You'll see on the o'scope 60 Hz emitted from the house wiring and
light fixtures. Crank up the sweep rate and you'll probably see the
carrier of an AM radio station. This morning, I had a strong signal
of about 1600 Hz.

I haven't it, but I bet if you ran a crummy (like a demonstration)
electric motor near the "antenna", you'd "see" the noise radiated
from the brushes.

A cheap AM radio would supplement this nicely.

"Keeping my ears on!"
bob

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:56:06 -0700 "Daniel L. MacIsaac"